Friday, February 11, 2011

Sugar cookies


I have never been a huge fan of sugar cookies, but I found this recipe on-line and I actually like it a lot! It makes a lot of cookies, so I usually half this recipe!

1 1/2 C. butter, room temperature
2 C. white sugar
4 eggs
1 t. vanilla
5 C. flour
2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt

Combine butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs one at a time and vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Form into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap. Chill in the the fridge for at least 1 hour. Instead of flouring the surface you will be working with, you can use sugar. It creates a nice sugary crispy crust and leaves the inside of the cookies soft and chewy. Roll the dough to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick and cut out your shapes. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Bake at 400 F. for 6 to 8 minutes.

I love buttercream frosting, but I think this glaze/icing turns out really pretty, so I opted for that this time. I like the flavor too.

1 C. confectioners sugar
2 t. milk
2 t. light corn syrup
1/4 t. almond extract or vanilla
assorted food coloring

Mix together milk and sugar. Add corn syrup and extract and beat until smooth. If the icing is too thick, add more corn syrup. Color icing according to your liking and paint on cookies with a brush.

1 comments:

Mike and Wendy said...

I just made some today with a recipe I found on line. It's supposed to be a really good one, but I didn't quite have enough white flour and had to finish up with wheat. They weren't bad, but I don't recommend using wheat flour in sugar cookies!
Your cookies are so pretty! That's buttercream?! It looks like royal icing!

Post a Comment