Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Macaroni and Cheese with Crumb Topping


I've been looking for a really good macaroni and cheese recipe. I think this one is pretty good, but I think I might try a few more recipes. Addy loves this mac and cheese! I have made it with white cheddar and regular cheddar. Both are good.

12 servings

1 ½ C. fresh breadcrumbs made from crustless French bread
¾ C. freshly grated Asiago cheese
1 t. sweet paprika
8 T. butter, divided
6 T. flour
6 C. whole milk (I used skim and it was still good)
2 t. Dijon mustard
1 t. ground black pepper
4 C. grated white cheddar cheese
1 ½ T. chopped fresh parsley
1 lb. macaroni

Mix breadcrumbs, Asiago, and paprika in medium bowl. Melt 6 T. butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir 3 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, then mustard and pepper. Cook until thickened, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Mix in 1/2 of the cheddar cheese. Cool sauce slightly and then add the rest of the cheese and fresh parsley. Preheat oven to 400 F. Butter 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish. Cook macaroni in pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain macaroni. Return macaroni to pot; mix in sauce. Season to taste with salt. Transfer mixture to prepared dish. Sprinkle with topping. Dot with remaining 2 T. butter. Bake until cheese is bubbling and crumbs are brown, about 40 minutes. Cool slightly and serve.

1 comments:

Mike and Wendy said...

I have a good recipe. We love it, anyway. I'm in TN visiting my family right now, but I'll email it when I get back to GA.

Post a Comment