Thursday, July 15, 2010

Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Cabbage Slaw


I found this recipe in a Bon Appetit magazine and it is so simple, yummy and healthy! I have been trying to cook at least one vegetarian meal a week for the past few years and this is a great one! It's not that I don't like meat, I actually love a good steak. I have just found that meat can be pretty expensive. I like to stay within my $55/week food budget, so going vegetarian once or even twice a week saves me some money!

Crispy Black Bean Tacos with Feta and Cabbage Slaw

1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
1/2 t. ground cumin
5 t. olive oil, divided
1 T. fresh lime juice
2 C. coleslaw mix (I just shred my own cabbage and add some grated carrots)
2 green onions, chopped
1/2 C. chopped fresh cilantro
4 white or yellow corn tortillas
1/3 C. crumbled feta cheese (I guess you could use monterrey jack cheese if you don't like feta, but I LOVE feta cheese!)
Bottled hot sauce

Mix beans and cumin in a small bowl and slightly mash the beans. In a separate bowl mix 2 teaspoons of olive oil and lime juice. Add the coleslaw, green onions, and cilantro and toss together. Season the slaw with coarse salt and freshly ground pepper.
Heat some olive oil in a non-stick pan. Add the tortillas in a single layer and put some of the bean mixture (1/4 of the mixture) on one side of each tortilla. I like to add my feta cheese at this point because I like it a little soft and gooey. Cook for one minute and then fold the tacos in half. Continue to cook until golden brown. Remove from the heat and fill the tacos with the slaw and top with a little hot sauce.

0 comments:

Post a Comment