Saturday, July 17, 2010

Puffy Apple Pancakes with Apple Syrup


When I was young, my mom would make German pancakes (or puffy pancakes) every now and then and we just loved them. The best part was watching the pancakes puff up really big. About a year ago I found a recipe for Austrian Apple pancakes in one of my cook books. Austrian Apple pancakes are similar to German pancakes except they have apples on the bottom. I think the recipe I have is good, but sometimes I have trouble getting the apples out so I changed the recipe a little and gave it a new name!

1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/4 C. butter, divided (I only had two table spoons of butter, so I used two table spoons of coconut oil as well and it added just a hint of coconut flavor that was really good!)
1/8 t. ground cinnamon
1 t. lemon juice
3 eggs
3/4 C. milk (I used Evaporated milk)
3/4 C. flour
1 T. sugar
Pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Saute apple in 2 T. butter in a 10" oven-proof skillet over medium heat until golden and almost tender. Add lemon juice and cook for a minute longer. Today I added about 1/8 C. of brown sugar to the apples and let them cook for about a minute. Melt 2 T. of butter (in my case, coconut oil) in the microwave. In a medium bowl, beat eggs with milk, flour, sugar, salt and melted butter until smooth. Pour batter over apples in the hot pan and spread; do not stir. Place skillet in oven and bake until puffed and golden, 18-20 minutes. Pull out of the oven, loosen the edges with a rubber spatula and turn over onto a plate. WARNING! After loosening the edges with a spatula, don't forget that the handle of the pan is still really hot like I did! Very stupid and painful! Adding the brown sugar to the apples creates a syrup, so you really don't need to add syrup unless you love it like I do!

0 comments:

Post a Comment